Ethernet issue: works one way but not another

Abu Khaled khaled.abu at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 04:50:02 PST 2005

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 22:43:15 -0500, John A. <johna9999 at gmail.com> wrote:
> No problem with the english, if you didn't mention it, I wouldn't have known.
>
> I can ping FBSD from M$, can't ping anything from FBSD.
>
> M$ box works when plugged into hub and directly into radio.
>
> All systems are on same subnet.

If the other machines you are trying to ping have M$ firewall enabled,
then you need to enable incoming echo request in the M$ firewall ICMP
page.

> FBSD box worked when plugged into a 100mb hub, but doesn't work when
> plugged into 10mb hub or directly into radio.  Both hubs are 3Com and
> are working with other systems plugged into them.

Try to check the output of "ifconfig" on the FreeBSD box when you
connect it to the 100m hub / 10m hub / radio.
Also try "route get <M$ BOX IP>" on the FreeBSD box and check the
output. Does it provide the correct interface/gateway?

> FBSD has no firwall configured.  All I did was perform a standard
> installation loading all binaries and sources from ftp.
>
> I just tested another FBSD 5.3 box that I have and it does the same
> thing, works fine at 100mb, but appears to get lost at 10mb.
>
> Hope this answers some of your questions.
>
> John A.

Am I the only one interested in this topic? Where is the rest of our
lovely community?
Come on guys let's scratch those gray cells and help John out.

--
Kind regards
Abu Khaled