sbp, camcontrol, and Tagged Queuing

Bob Johnson bob89 at bobj.org
Thu Mar 17 20:23:44 PST 2005

On Thursday 17 March 2005 10:08 pm, Drew Tomlinson wrote:
> I posted this a while back and am still having the same problem.  Can
> anyone offer any insight as to if the sbp man page suggestion about tagged
> queuing is something I should try?  Is there any risk of screwing up my
> drives by trying this?

Tagged queueing queues up multiple instructions for the drive simultaneously.
The drive then attempts to sort them out and execute them in optimum order.
Some drives that claim to support tagged queueing do not correctly do so, and
don't perform well when it is used (and may lose data).  If you set the queue
size to one, as recommended in the passage you reference, then only one
instruction will be issued to the drive at time, and it will behave like a
drive without tagged queueing.  It will do no harm to the drive.  If the
drive correctly implements tagged queueing, this will slow down the drive,
but if it does not correctly implement it, then this may dramatically speed
up the drive (and make it more stable).  I have an external drive that
manages 1.3 MBps transfers with queueing enabled, and 25 MBps transfers when
I set the queue size to one.

As for whether it will help your specific problem, I don't know, but I can't
see how it would do any harm to test it.

This issue is not specific to FreeBSD.  Any OS that supports tagged queuing
has problems with some drives.

- Bob

> Thanks,
>
> Drew