Can't Login to Box Anymore

John john at starfire.mn.org
Thu Mar 17 13:33:01 PST 2005

On Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 12:44:53PM -0800, JP wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I recently installed Samba and was configuring the box for winbindd.  Upon rebooting I can no longer login to the box via telnet or any other means.  The console also generates the same error:
>
> login in free(): error: chunk is already free
>
> This is on FreeBSD 5.3.  Any advice on how to mount or access the server from the console?  I tried to use the safe mode but the file system is read-only and that doesnt' do me any good.

Hey, JP.

The file system being read-only has nothing to do with your login
problem.  I do not recognize what is going on with your login
problem, and cannot help you there, but I can advise you on the
read-only status.  You can issue a mount command to remount (or
initially mount) the filesystems you need to try to solve your
problem.  I won't try to tell you which filesytems you need or
want, but many people will use a "mount -a" after single-user
boot to do system maintenance.
--

John Lind
john at starfire.MN.ORG