Mucking with other drive

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Thu Mar 17 07:51:54 PST 2005

Jerry,

Well, of course it's going to "muck with the other drive" what
do you think writing the MBR does?  Do you want to risk the MS system
not booting?  95% of the time it will work OK but what if her system
is in that 5% of the time that it doesen't?  You going to go
over to her house and fix it?  What if she's got some nutty drive
program on there like diskmanager that neither of you know about that
is already on the mbr?

Carrie,

PC bioses only let you boot off of drive C.  If you install this
other drive as drive D then during the installation FreeBSD is going
to have to write a boot loader onto C so that when the PC boots
it will load the boot loader, which will then load the FreeBSD system
off drive D.

You need to leave well enough alone.  You can pick up older PC's for a
song
these days.  If you have critical data on your Dell then don't
screw with it.  Find some other PC that someone's going to throw away
and load FreeBSD on that.  You don't even need a monitor for it, you
can telnet/ssh into it from your Dell system easily.

Dual-boot systems never work anyway.  The operator always ends up
spending 99% of their time in one operating system.

Ted