<$100 SATA RAID Card 5.3 compatible

Danny Howard dannyman at toldme.com
Wed Mar 16 18:12:29 PST 2005

On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 07:52:46PM -0600, Mike Loiterman wrote:

> >> Is your solution better?
> >
> > You can deliver your own opinion, my resolution is at:
> > http://dannyman.toldme.com/2005/01/24/freebsd-howto-gmirror-system/
>
> I was able to make the atacontrol method work flawlessly via a simulated
> disk failure (formated it and did a atacontrol rebuild).  Is gmirror more
> reliable?

I'd say that "if it aint broke, don't fix it."

> I still don't understand gmirror, how it works and how to properly set one
> up.  That's probably why I'm resistant to working with it.

I think atacontrol scared me a bit because it is the "ATA device driver
program" and this inbreeding between "managing hard disks" and "managing
RAIDs" bothered me, and gmirror wsa new and shiny and
not-so-well-documented, so I figured I'd make that work.

It seems like there are a bunch of competing interfeces to the new geom
stuff and eventually a few of them will turn out to be the popular ones,
and the others will become this funky weird appendices like systat.  And
we'll look back on our respective decisions nostalgically.

-danny

--
http://dannyman.toldme.com/