flash plugin?

RW list-freebsd-2004 at morbius.sent.com
Wed Mar 16 14:09:08 PST 2005

On Wednesday 16 March 2005 01:49, Tom Vilot wrote:
> I have the port flashplugin-mozilla-0.4.12 installed (using
> firefox-1.0.1_2,1). I find that it crashes firefox pretty consistently.
>
> However, a quick grep of flash in the ports reveals these:
>

> flash-0.9.5
> flashplugin-0.4.3
> flashplugin-firefox-0.4.12
> flashplugin-mozilla-0.4.12
> flashplugin-mozilla-devel-0.4.12
> flashpluginwrapper-0.20021113
> linux-flashplugin-5.0r51_2
> linux-flashplugin-6.0r79_2
> linux-flashplugin-7.0r25_1
> linuxpluginwrapper-20050119_1
>
> Should I be using one of these? What are they all!? :c)

The first one is a shell.  Those that start with flashplugin are based on the
third-party GPL version, which is a nice idea, but basically doesn't work.
The linux-flashplugin  versions are based on the a real macromedia produced
linux binary, and work very well.

If you are happy to run a third-party binary, then you need linuxpluginwrapper
and one of the linux-flashplugin versions. I think version 6 is the stable
port and 7 is a beta-port (the last time I looked it didn't work with
firefox)