5.3-release fine with 512MB RAM, reboots at times with 1.5GB (but no panic)

RW list-freebsd-2004 at morbius.sent.com
Wed Mar 16 13:47:55 PST 2005

On Wednesday 16 March 2005 03:10, Jean Lagarde wrote:
> I have been troubleshooting reboots over the last weekend, I think I
> might have enough clues now to get some useful hints from an expert.
>
> FreeBSD 5.3-release (see dmesg below for details)
>
> The problem seems to be with trying to run with 1.5GB vice 512MB of RAM.
> The system has not had problems so far when I only leave the 512MB stick
> in. When I add the 1GB stick the system will reboot at specific times,
> for example, while trying to launch KDE3 or trying to make OpenOffice
> (always reboots at "Extracting for openoffice-1.1.2-1"). I do not see
> any panic in the messages log, the system just silently reboots.

Have you checked your motherboard's manual for allowed memory combinations?

I was thinking of making the same upgrade, but I looked through the table of
supported configurations and I noticed that for DDR 400 memory, I should only
have 1 double-sided stick. As I understand it, most DDR400 memory at 0.5 and
1GB is currently double-sided.