DHCP server performance

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Wed Mar 16 10:08:52 PST 2005

> Greetings,
> I want to setup a DHCP server on my internal (private 192.168.1.X) network.
> I already have a Freebsd machine on the network as a webserver.
>
> Should I dedicate an entire machine to being a DHCP server ?  Or will
> the load be minimal and I can put the DHCP server functionality on my
> webserver ?

For just a private internal network, it would hardly notice the extra load.
I assume you won't have thousands of machines coming in and out
regularly, but only a few dozen at the most coming in a few times
per day.  No problem.

Some of our sites have several hundred machines using DHCP, on a machine
with web, DNS, majordomo, squid proxy, squirrel web based Email running.
About the only thing that slows them down is spamassasin/procmail when
lots of Email comes in.

////jerry