Source-upgrading from FreeBSD 4.9 to 4.11

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Wed Mar 16 06:06:05 PST 2005

patrick <gibblertron at gmail.com> writes:

> I'm trying to do a source upgrade from FreeBSD 4.9 to 4.11, but during
> the "make buildworld", I get the following:
>
> ===> gnu/usr.bin/cvs/cvs
> make: don't know how to make stack.c. Stop
> *** Error code 2
>
> Stop in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/cvs.
> *** Error code 1

I don't have a RELENG_4 system around any more, but it sounds like
you're missing part of the source tree you should have.  Do you have
/usr/src/contrib/cvs/src/stack.c?  How did you do the update of your
sources?

> I didn't see any mention of this in the handbook, but do I have to
> upgrade to 4.10 first, and then go up to 4.11?

No.  Remember to check /usr/src/UPDATING for more information before
starting an upgrade...