Backup on DDS-4 tapes

Ludo Koren lk at tempest.sk
Wed Mar 16 01:19:09 PST 2005

     > --pP0ycGQONqsnqIMP Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

     > On Monday, 14 March 2005 at 10:38:02 +0100, Ludo Koren wrote:
    >>  Hi,
    >>
    >> I am using 5.2.1-RELEASE-p3 for backup on DDS-4 tapes 40GB in
    >> size.

    >> Why I cannot dump the filesystem on 2 tapes (it takes 3, it
    >> seems it works without compression) no matter if I use dump or
    >> cpio? What I am doing wrong?

     > You're using dump :-)

     > Dump is too stupid to understand compression or EOF marks, so
     > it errs on the side of caution.  It's also IMO not a very good
     > backup medium unless you really want the incremental dump
     > facility.  Even between different releases of FreeBSD there are
     > compatibility problems, and you can assume that there is no
     > compatibility at all between different operating systems.  You
     > may find tar a better choice.

Surprisingly

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/backup-basics.html

in 16.1.7 suggests dump, though as the reference is used (maybe)
outdated E. Zwicky link...

Anyway, cpio cannot handle the problem too, and the tar in
5.2.1-RELEASE-p3 can handle multi-volume backup, but in the 5.3-STABLE
don't according to the man page.

I wonder what is then the best solution.

Regards,

lk