IPFW or pf?

Peter N. M. Hansteen peter at bgnett.no
Wed Mar 16 00:49:09 PST 2005

Andreas Davour <ante at Update.UU.SE> writes:

> So, the base systems ships with two firewalls?

Three, actually - ipfw, ipf and pf. There's a brief explanation why in
the handbook at http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/firewalls-apps.html

I prefer pf myself, but which one to use is really down to personal
preference. I'd recommend following the Handbook's advice and do a bit
of reading and experimenting.

I hope to get around to updating my pf tutorial soonish (see
http://www.bgnett.no/~peter/pf/en/ if you're interested - or
http://www.bgnett.no/~peter/pf/no/ if you prefer the Norwegian version)