Advice on integrated video on friends system

James Earl jamesd.earl at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 13:27:31 PST 2005

Hi,

A good friend of mine asked me to setup FreeBSD and GNOME on his home
computer for his family to use.  It is an old IBM Aptiva.  The usual
stuff works, but of course it has to have integrated video: ATI Rage
Pro Turbo chipset.

I'm running the latest Xorg in the ports tree and started with a
configuration file using 'Xorg -configure'.  No matter what I've tried
(no accel, no dri, defaultdepth 8, 16, Modes 800x600, 640x480), all
the results have been the same, even when trying to run xorgcfg...
when I run startx, my monitor blanks, and either tells me it's an
unsupported video mode, or the screen just goes blank.  Doing
ctrl+alt+backspace doesn't restore my text mode, but I am able to
reboot the system using ctrl+alt+del, or I can even type 'shutdown -p
now' (but nothing is displayed).

Could anyone suggest any additional course of action, or is this
chipset clearly unsupported?  It's really hard for me to give up on
this... it's not too often that I get to setup someone with FreeBSD
and GNOME (has only happened to me once before this).

James