shutdown problem

koen de wijs koendewijs at gmx.net
Tue Mar 15 09:58:17 PST 2005

Hello,

I have reinstalled FreeBSD. First I used 5.2.1 and now am I using 5.3.
When I shutdown my system I have to press the power button to shutdown.
With 5.2.1 I didn't need to do that.
I searched some time and I found this:

I found this text on this site:
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.3R/relnotes-i386.html
The acpi(4)
<http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=acpi&sektion=4&manpath=FreeBSD+5.3-RELEASE>
driver will now be disabled automatically when the machine has a
well-known broken BIOS. This behavior can be overridden by setting the
loader tunable hint.acpi.0.disabled to 0.

Do I have to add the line /hint.acpi.0.disabled="0"   /to loader.conf??

Or do I have to add the line /hw.acpi.disable_on_poweroff="0"??

/Could anybody help me? I'm new to both FreeBSD and Unix.

Thanks Koen