rc.conf reloaded

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Tue Mar 15 00:05:57 PST 2005

On 2005-03-15 08:33, Bernt Hansson <bernt at bah.homeip.net> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I want to reread the rc.conf file without reboot.

Why?

What you probably want is to apply some change in the settings of rc.conf.
This can usually be done by restarting just the affected components.

There *are* a few changes of rc.conf that may ultimately affect too many
components and/or services of the running system that a plain reboot may be
the best option you have, but you would have to give us more details about
the changes you made before we tell you what's the best thing to do.

What is it exactly that you changed in rc.conf?

> How does one do that?
>
> /etc/netstart restarts the network but /etc/rc.conf does nothing.

True.

The rc.conf file doesn't "do" anything.  It merely contains options and flags
for other startup scripts.  Depending on your FreeBSD version, the scripts
that are affected by rc.conf's contents are either the /etc/rc.* files (for
versions released before FreeBSD 5.3) or /etc/rc.d/* (for 5.3 and newer
releases).