bad CRC in rar file

David Kelly dkelly at hiwaay.net
Mon Mar 14 13:06:08 PST 2005

On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 02:24:57PM -0600, Brian John wrote:
> Hello, I have a collection of rar files that all hold together one .iso
> file.  One of the rar files has a bad CRC so rar fails to extract the ISO
> image.  Does anyone know if there is a different application that can
> extract this image even though there are crc errors?  I looked at the rar
> manpage and it didn't seem like rar could do it.

The unrar utility in ports says the "kb" command line switch will "keep
broken". Remember mounting a bad ISO image may crash your computer.

Generally one uses par files to validate and repair rar files before
reassembling the original image. To generate par files for this purpose
one has to start with a good set of rar files.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly at HiWAAY.net