firefox share profile in freebsd and windows!

Danny Howard dannyman at toldme.com
Mon Mar 14 11:01:15 PST 2005

Ean Kingston wrote:

>At the worst, you could export your bookmarks from one and import them
>into the other. Then you would just have to go through the preferences and
>make sure the settings are the same otherwise.

I have been using Amazon's a9.com which has a browser bar for Firefox
that facilitates storing bookmarks on a9.com.  This way, I can do
bookmarks on my FreeBSD Firefox, and pull them up on my Windows Firefox,
or any computer if I visit their site.  There are probably other "server
side bookmarks" services out there.  The a9 makes it a little nicer with
the toolbar thingus, plus it wraps around Google's search engine,
Amazon's products search engine, and Amazon.com will give you a modest
discount for helping test out their wonky new feature. (The bookmark
management is a little weird, because it is implemented as a web interface.)

As far as duplicating profiles, I'm with Ean in figuring that trying to
get the profiles to work on two utterly different platforms sounds like
more trouble than it would likely be worth.  I know that in the old days
the Netscape folks were keen on a project to store metadata in an LDAP
server ... perhaps the Mozilla foundation has some similar fetish, but
you would be better off asking the Mozilla folks, who are all about
cross-platform magic.

-danny