DPMS not turning off LCD screen

Alejandro Pulver alejandro at varnet.biz
Mon Mar 14 08:33:16 PST 2005

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 22:25:45 -0500 (EST)
"Stephen J. Roznowski" <sjr at comcast.net> wrote:

> I have a Sony SDM-HX93 LCD monitor running off an Nvidia GeForce FX
> 5500.
>
> I have the DPMS option set in my xorg configuration file, but while
> the screen turns off, the monitor never enters power off mode (it
> remains 'backlit').
>
> Any suggestions where to look for the error?
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Stephen J. Roznowski    (sjr at comcast.net)

Hello,

The configuration file 'xorg.conf' can have the following settings (for
more information see xorg.conf(5)):

Section "ServerFlags"

    [...]

    Option    "BlankTime"    "3"  # just blank the screen

    Option    "StandbyTime"  "5"  # DPMS state "stand by"
    Option    "SuspendTime"  "5"  # DPMS state "suspend"
    Option    "OffTime"      "5"  # DPMS state "off"

EndSection

Section "Monitor"

    [...]

    Option      "DPMS"  # enable DPMS

EndSection

The first 4 option lines (in section "ServerFlags") contain the name of
the option followed by the number of minutes of inactivity to wait
before activate them.

The last option (in section "Monitor") *must* be enabled for DPMS to
work.

In some monitors (like mine) all the DPMS states of inactivity are the
same, that turn off the monitor. The "BlankTime" indicated the time to
wait before displaying a black screen, not turning off (or suspend,
etc.) the monitor, like DPMS states do.

So im my monitor, after 3 mminutes of inactivity the screen will be
blanked, then, if I do not do anything, 2 minutes after that the monitor
will turn off.

The commands to try them are:

Try one DPMS state (choose one):

xset dpms force (off|standby|suspend)

Try the screen blank (sleep is required because when you press enter it
starts, but when you release it, or it start repeating, it stops):

xset s blank
sleep 3 ; xset s activate

Best Regards,
Ale