Stupid ASCII loader prompt

David Landgren david at landgren.net
Mon Mar 14 04:01:38 PST 2005

Svein Halvor Halvorsen wrote:
[...]

> It's all about what connotation you put on the word.
>
> E.g. to make a file world read-writable you would type "chmod 666 file".

Ah, but you are talking in octal!

% perl -le 'print oct 666'
438

No evil here :)

> Even though the number 666 is the number of the devil, the number itself
> is not evil. Just as little as the command is evil, or someone who types
 > it. It's just a number. Put whatever meaning into it you like!

Q.E.D. (my apologies for keeping such a silly thread alive)

ObTopic: I think the OP was quite within his/her rights about wanting to
disable the ASCII-art da?emon, yet wishing to continue to use FreeBSD. I
find it pretty silly myself.

I also note that FreeBSD understands 'tail -100 -F' and Linux (gnu
fileutils?) doesn't. The devil is in the details, as it were.

A chorus of "reformat your disk and use something else you lowlife moron
without a sense of humour" does little to advance the cause.

David