logitech cordless mouse w/ freebsd 5.3 stable

Chuck Robey chuckr at chuckr.org
Sun Mar 13 19:11:49 PST 2005

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005, Eric wrote:

> My ugly mouse hack:
>  I am sure this question has already been answered, although I couldn't
> find the answer via google.
>
> Hardware and Software:
> Logitech USB cordless mouse M/N:M-RN67 P/N:851390-0000 w/ ps/2 adapter
> Auravision slimseries ps/2 keyboard /w wire
> a starband kvm switch, 4 port PS/2 for both keyboard and mouse w/ extern
> power source.
> FreeBSD 5.3 stable cpu=2.8 cel
>
> Using the ps/2 adapter with my mouse, was required to use the kvm.
>
> dmesg reports this for my mouse by default:
>
> psm0: <PS/2 Mouse> flags 0x24 irq 12 on atkbdc0
> psm0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
> psm0: model IntelliMouse Explorer, device ID 4
>
> the mouse will not work.
>
> appending: hint.psm.0.flags="0x204"
> to /boot/device.hints
>
> I now get this via dmesg:
>
> psm0: <PS/2 Mouse> flags 0x204 irq 12 on atkbdc0
> psm0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
> psm0: model Generic PS/2 mouse, device ID 0
>
> I then edited /etc/rc.conf and disabled my console mouse (moused) (which
> I would prefere worked)
>
> moused_enable="NO"
>
> I then edit the pointer section of  /etc/X11/xorg.conf to:
>
>     Identifier  "Mouse1"
>     Driver      "mouse"
>     Option "Protocol"    "Auto"
>     Option "Device"      "/dev/bpsm0"

I am running FreeBSD-6.0-current, but I bet it works for you like it works
(just fine) for me.  Try it, what have you got to lose?  However, if it
works, you owe us a usage report, Sirrah!

Anyhow, FreeBSD is not terribly willing to share the mouse.  When it
boots, the stupid thing will start 'moused' processes on both mouses.
Check this with:

ps -ax | grep mouse

if it's like I think it is, one of the lines that come back will report a
device filename of ums0.  You need this process dead, dead, dead.  You
*could*, I suppose, edit /etc/usbd.conf ...

After you do that, the stuff you have above for Xorg isn't enough either,
cause you left out the wheel.  take those lines out and replace them with

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "auto"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/ums0"
        Option "Buttons" "5"
        Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Don't forget, at the top:

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "X.org Configured"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Try this, tell me how it works.

> notice that is the "b" psm device that i am using which is for blocking
> mode or bpsm
>
> At any rate, the mouse now works in X, through the kvm, and through usb
> to ps/2 adapter.
>
> I hope this helps someone else  :)
> YMMV,
> Eric

Chuck Robey         | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr at chuckr.org   | electronics, communications, and SF/Fantasy.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary (on the wall at my old fraternity,
Signa Phi Nothing).