[Realplay10GOLD] Error: ELF binary type "0" not known

Jason Henson jason at ec.rr.com
Sun Mar 13 17:25:22 PST 2005

On 03/13/05 12:08:43, David Fleck wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Mar 2005, Jason Henson wrote:
>
>> On 03/11/05 03:47:27, P.H.Tung wrote:
>>> I successfully installed Realplayer10GOLD on FreeBSD released 5.3
>>> When I run realplay from console, I got following error:
>>> ELF binary type "0" not known.
>>> /usr/local/lib/RealPlayer/realplay.bin: 1: Syntax error: "("
>>> unexpected
>>>
>>> What does it means? any advises?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>

>> Sounds like a compiler error?  Check man brandelf.
>> $ brandelf -l
>> known ELF types are: FreeBSD(9) Linux(3) Solaris(6) SVR4(0)
>>
>> You could try to rebrand it to type 9.
>>
>> as root:
>>
>> brandelf -f 9 /usr/local/lib/RealPlayer/realplay.bin
>>
>> But the syntax error, how would that get there?  Try to make
>> reinstall after a make distclean if branding fails.
>

> It's a little more mysterious than that.
> the Realplayer port is a Linux binary, so branding it for FreeBSD
> probably won't work.  But here's what's odd -- I just installed
> linux-realplayer-10.0.2_1, and it seems to have installed OK.  When I
> check its branding, I get:
>
> bender# brandelf /usr/local/lib/RealPlayer/realplay.bin
> File '/usr/local/lib/RealPlayer/realplay.bin' is of brand 'SVR4' (0).
>
> so it's not branded for Linux or FreeBSD!  And yet it seems to be ok.
>
> And the 'Syntax error' the OP is getting makes no sense at all.
>

> My suggestion at this point - do
>
> brandelf /usr/local/lib/RealPlayer/realplay.bin
> file /usr/local/lib/RealPlayer/realplay.bin
>
> and report the results back.
>

> --
> David Fleck
> david.fleck at mchsi.com

The 0 branding is for any non-BSD (i.e. System V based) Unix, like
linux too.  System V based Unixes (SVR4, Solaris 2.x, SCO ODT 3.0, AIX,
A/UX, DELL, ...).  They will run on BSD.  I used to not put the -
freeBSD in my f at h client and I would run into this.  I rebrand them and
all is well.  I might should download the correct ones just to be safe?

You say you installed, did you do a make install using ports?  If not
remove the program and use the port.  If you did use the port then here
is some more info.

Some programs can have `-DSVR4' added to the CFLAGS in their Makefile
to generate a SVR4 bin.  Maybe you should cd to /usr/ports/multimedia/
realplayer(right spot?) and do a make config, and check the makefile
for such flags.