how to deal with spam for good?

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Sun Mar 13 14:04:02 PST 2005

On Mar 12, 2005, at 4:44 AM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org wrote:

Actually, the problem (if the two really are similar, junk faxers and
spammers and laws against them as they are forming) is that lawyers
don't WANT the hassle because the payout is so little compared to the
time they put into the case.  It's just not worth it.

One of the guys Tom Martino had on the radio DID sue a junk faxer.  Got
a lawyer, went to court, won.  The law fines something like (from
memory here) $500 per fax.  He ended up getting something like forty or
fifty bucks after the case was done, after fees.  The lawyer he hired
asked that he find someone else...it was too much paperwork and
footwork for the profit to be made.

Tom was discussing a class action lawsuit against some junk faxers.
People submitting evidence and names were getting something like $25
for a winning case out of the lawsuit (again, I'm recalling this from
memory, so you may have to research this if you're interested in more
info).

Essentially yes, there are laws against this sort of thing but it is
expensive to prosecute and the reward is so meager compared to the
effort.  On top of that, *good luck collecting from Spammers!!*
Especially scuzz that hide behind zombie systems and big pipes in Asia.

While I won't discount laziness and stupidity as contributing factors
to this continuing, the people acting as crimefighters face a long and
hard uphill battle to make it worth the time invested.  It may be more
worthwhile to start finding people who respond to spam and threaten
them with lawsuits so big that they'd have to be bankrupted by summary
judgment in order to keep them from continuing to finance the spam
kings...then their revenue will stop and then spam will stop.