If I have portmanager, do I need portupgrade?

Chris racerx at makeworld.com
Sun Mar 13 12:40:19 PST 2005

Chris Hodgins wrote:
> Michael C. Shultz wrote:
>
>> On Sunday 13 March 2005 12:05 pm, Fafa Diliha Romanova wrote:
>>
>>> If I just do:
>>>
>>> cvsup -g -L 2 /etc/cvsupfile && portmanager -u
>>>
>>> Do I need portupgrade at all then?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>

>> Not for upgrading.  portsclean (a part of portsupgrade package) is a
>> nice feature of portupgrade, so is pkg_which and a few others
>> so I keep portupgrade around just the same.
>>
>> -Mike
>

> How long does it take to run portmanager.  Is it a similar amount of
> time as portupgrade for each run?
>
> Chris

The time is about the same (in my experiance) AND (most importantly)
portmanager seems to handle upgrading better then portupgrade does.

IE: Thunderbird, Gnome, Firefox.

Another nifty thing is that portmanager creates a package and dumps it
in /usr/ports/mail/thunderbird (for example) and at least for me, I can
pkg_add that to my laptop since they both run 5.3

--
Best regards,
Chris

Misery no longer loves company