Why not?

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Sun Mar 13 10:24:56 PST 2005

On Mar 12, 2005, at 2:45 PM, Chris wrote:

> Aperez wrote:
>> Hello everybdody
>>
>> I read an interview of Linus Torvald made by Linux Magazine. In that
>> interview Linus mentioned the following:
>>
>> "On the other hand, no, Linux does not have that stupid notion of
>> having totally separate kernel development for different issues. If
>> you want a secure BSD, you get OpenBSD; if you want a usable BSD, you
>> get FreeBSD; and if you want BSD on other architectures, you get
>> NetBSD. That___s just idiotic, to have different teams worry about
>> different things."
>
> Here's irony posed as a question:
>
> ... and how many distros of Linux are there?

I think the difference is that Linus is working on the Linux kernel.
The distros, numerous as they are, all run the same kernel.  Those
separate distros package the other applications and userland apps and
default configs.  The kernel itself isn't under separate forks, whereas
from what I understand the kernels for FBSD/NetBSD/OBSD are very
similar, share a lot of crossed-over code, but are not identical and
have separate "management" teams behind them.

The Linux distros keep getting their kernel workings from one group
(even if they tweak them).  The BSDs do not.