FreeBSD & Java

Chris Hodgins chodgins at cis.strath.ac.uk
Sun Mar 13 06:46:16 PST 2005

Anthony Atkielski wrote:
> Rhys Campbell writes:
>

>>I have an application written in Java that I am thinking about deploying on
>>FreeBSD. I am considering FreeBSD because of its reputation for stability
>>and performance. The only concern I have is the port of Java on this system.
>>I am a newcomer to FreeBSD (a few days in fact) so I just wanted to know
>>what is the stability / reliability of the Java implementation? Are there
>>many known problems etc.
>

> Why not just write it in C or some other compiled language, and
> eliminate the variable of a Java interpreter (while improving
> performance greatly to boot)?

This is a pretty silly comment.  If he has written it in Java then
porting it to C is probably not going to be trivial.  On the performance
side, Java's performance is actually pretty good.  This is an article on
Java vs various other languages.  It is a 2003 article so I would
imagine things are even better nowadays.

http://www.idiom.com/~zilla/Computer/javaCbenchmark.html

Chris