Why not?

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Sat Mar 12 14:30:23 PST 2005

Aperez wrote:

>Hello everybdody
>
>I read an interview of Linus Torvald made by Linux Magazine. In that
>interview Linus mentioned the following:
>
>"On the other hand, no, Linux does not have that stupid notion of
>having totally separate kernel development for different issues. If
>you want a secure BSD, you get OpenBSD; if you want a usable BSD, you
>get FreeBSD; and if you want BSD on other architectures, you get
>NetBSD. That___s just idiotic, to have different teams worry about
>different things."
>
>I dont want to critize what Linus stated above. However, I find a
>very valid point when he says that every BSD version team is woking
>in different directions.
>
>My question is this:
>
>Why not all three teams work together for just one BSD version?
>
>At the moment there are three groups of developers and users
>working in the same issues. I think if we should all work together
>and create well rounded BSD version for us users and corporate
>clients. Imagine a BSD version that is portable (NetBSD), that
>is very secured (OpenBSD) and that is a good Destop solution (FreeBSD).

At the risk of really *being* a troll, I'll philosophize apart from
the technical world for a moment.

Some people are born, grow up, and when the time is
right, based on love, respect, and trust, they start a family.
(You can view ours under /usr/share/misc/ on most systems).

Others are born, grow up, discover they are popular and
fsck around with anyone who'll have them.  They say that
it's more fun, and maybe it is for a while; nature takes its
course and the seeds scatter where they may....

On one hand you'll usually (rules exist to prove exceptions,
right?) have a relatively small group of well-adjusted
individuals after several years.

On the other, you'll have a legions of messed-up bastardized
malcontents.

Draw your own conclusions....

Kevin Kinsey

P.S.  I have nothing personal against Linux, Mr. Torvalds, or
$name_here.  It's just that I'm a family-oriented person ;-)