5.3: scbus & da in kernel config, umass as module: but no /dev/da* ?

Alejandro Pulver alejandro at varnet.biz
Sat Mar 12 07:25:00 PST 2005

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 00:00:23 -0800 (PST)
Rob <spamrefuse at yahoo.com> wrote:

> [...]
> >>usb-memory-stick:
> >>   mount -t msdosfs /dev/da0s1 /mnt
> >>
> >>but there's no /dev/da* device.
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a camera that is detected as an 'umass'
> > storage device, and it appears as '/dev/da0'
> > (strangely I can use it as a common storage
> > device). This is my configuration:
> >
> > kernel options:
> >
> > device scbus
> > device da
> > device pass
> > device uhci
> > device ohci
> > device usb
> > device umass
> > device ehci
> >
> > '/etc/rc.conf' options:
> >
> > usbd_enable="YES"
> >
> > To test it you can:
> >
> > 1) Check the devices in '/dev/daX'.
> > 2) # camcontrol devlist
> > 3) Check the boot messages (umass and da) and
> >    the messages printed when you plug the device.
> >
> > To mount it you have to select a slice (if it has
> > data stored in):
> >
> > mount -t msdosfs /dev/da0s1 /mnt
>
> I do not have the cam device in the kernel config.
> Do I have to? I also don't have umass in the
> kernel config either, but I load that as a module
> later; is that OK?
>
> Problem is that I do not have any /dev/da* devices,
> with or without my memory stick in the usb port.
>
> I load umass module into the kernel, and then plug
> the memory stick into the usb port. The console
> gets then:
>
> umass0: EXATEL  , Inc. I-BEAD Multi Player, rev
>     1.10/0.01, addr 2
> umass0: Get Max Lun not supported (STALLED)
> da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
> da0: <EXATEL i-BEAD100 0001> Removable Direct Access
>     SCSI-4 device
> da0: 1.000MB/s transfers
> da0: 122MB (249856 512 byte sectors: 64H 32S/T 122C)
> umass0: BBB reset failed, STALLED
> umass0: BBB bulk-in clear stall failed, STALLED
> umass0: BBB bulk-out clear stall failed, STALLED
> [...last three lines repeated every minute or so...]
>

> What does the "STALLED" mean here?
> Is that critical? The "usbdevs -v" reports now:
>
> Controller /dev/usb0:
> addr 1: full speed, self powered, config 1, UHCI
>      root hub(0x0000), Intel(0x0000), rev 1.00
>  port 1 powered
>  port 2 addr 2: full speed, self powered, config 1,
>      i-Bead 100 MP3 Player(0x8008), Sigmatel(0x066f),
>      rev 0.01
>
> But I have no /dev/da0 :
>
>   # ls /dev/da*
>   ls: No match.
>
> So, the memory stick is detected at the USB port,
> but I don't have the /dev/da* devices to mount the
> memory stick (although devices da and scbus are in
> my kernel config!).
> When I remove the memory stick, I get following in
> the console:
>
> umass0: at uhub0 port 2 (addr 2) disconnected
> (da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): lost device
> (da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): removing device entry

Hello,

I think your configuration is fine.

I guess the problem is with the driver or maybe it needs some extra
configuration.

Your device is detected:

umass0: EXATEL  , Inc. I-BEAD Multi Player, rev
    1.10/0.01, addr 2
da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da0: <EXATEL i-BEAD100 0001> Removable Direct Access
    SCSI-4 device
da0: 1.000MB/s transfers
da0: 122MB (249856 512 byte sectors: 64H 32S/T 122C)

I think the source of the problem are these lines:

umass0: Get Max Lun not supported (STALLED)
umass0: BBB reset failed, STALLED
umass0: BBB bulk-in clear stall failed, STALLED
umass0: BBB bulk-out clear stall failed, STALLED
[...last three lines repeated every minute or so...]

I do not know how to solve this, but perhaps someone will answer you in
the 'freebsd-usb at freebsd.org' list.

Do not forget to provide the following information:

1) messages reported when booting/plugging/unplugging/
2) # camcontrol devlist
3) # usbdevfs -v
4) error messages (STALLED)
5) FreeBSD version and kernel options related to USB

Best Regards,
Ale