Setting up a danish locale

Steve Kargl sgk at troutmask.apl.washington.edu
Fri Mar 11 09:21:22 PST 2005

Problem:  We have a visiting scientist from Denmark, whose laptop
  died a horrible death.  A colleagued asked if I would loan him
  a currently unused system in my office.  I've set up FreeBSD 5.3
  on the system and everything appears to work except for setting
  up a Danish locale.

Disclaimer:  I searched the Handbook, used google, and spent a
  few hours reading up of login.conf, locale support, etc.  But,
  we are stuck without the danish locale.

I have setup a ~/,login_conf in the user home directory that
contains

dhcp-78-77:kargl[201] cat .login_conf
me:\
        :charset=ISO8859-1:\
        :lang=da_DK.ISO8859-1:

When we login, we see that the locale is set

dhcp-78-77:kargl[202] locale
LANG=da_DK.ISO8859-1
LC_CTYPE="da_DK.ISO8859-1"
LC_COLLATE="da_DK.ISO8859-1"
LC_TIME="da_DK.ISO8859-1"
LC_NUMERIC="da_DK.ISO8859-1"
LC_MONETARY="da_DK.ISO8859-1"
LC_MESSAGES="da_DK.ISO8859-1"
LC_ALL=

But any attempt to enter a danish character in for examples xemacs
fails.  From my colleagues comment a "Right-Alt / o" should yield
a lower case "o" with a slash through it.  His system is running
Xorg 6.7.0_9.  I suspect that I need to change/update his xorg.conf
file.  Any insight into setting up the Danish environment would be
appreciate.

--
Steve

----- End forwarded message -----