Clock slew vulnerability in FreeBSD?

Anthony Atkielski atkielski.anthony at wanadoo.fr
Thu Mar 10 19:42:43 PST 2005

Bnonn writes:

> Is this technically a vulnerability, or is it just a side-effect of how
> computers operate?

It's a vulnerability in the sense that it can leak confidential
information about a system's identity.  It's not a side-effect of how
computers operate, but rather a side-effect of how most TCP stacks are
implemented.

> I was of the impression that this is quite an unavoidable issue, given
> how it seems to apply to any computer regardless of OS, but I haven't
> researched the issue much myself. Interesting question.

It seems to be unavoidable only in the sense that most operating systems
are not designed to protect against it (yet).  I think the claims of the
researchers are overly optimistic, but time will tell.

In any case, in the interest of security, it would be nice to see it
addressed.  I read that FreeBSD can be configured to avoid the problem
completely by disabling the timestamps upon which the technique depends,
but I don't remember the details.  And if one still wants to use
timestamps, it would be good if they could be used without leaking any
information.

--
Anthony