how to change process limits?

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Thu Mar 10 13:46:45 PST 2005

In the last episode (Mar 09), Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC said:
> The following is aon 5.3-RELEASE-p5
>
> If I do a limits command I get
>
> # limits
> Resource limits (current):
>   datasize           524288 kb
>   stacksize           65536 kb
> #
>
> However, login.conf has (and no other classes defined)
>
> default:\
>         :datasize=unlimited:\
>         :stacksize=unlimited:\
>
> I am wondering where the datasize and stacksize get set.  These have
> limits when listed with "limits" but they do not appear to be getting
> set through login as the login.conf has unlimitged.

I believe those are extra-hard limits enforced by the kernel.  You can
raise them by adding this to /boot/loader.conf:

kern.maxdsiz=2147483648
kern.maxssiz=2147483648

Then you can edit login.conf to set whatever soft and hard limits you
want (remember to run "cap_mkdb /etc/login.conf" when you're done).
I'm not exactly sure why those limits are boot-time tunables as opposed
to regular sysctls, or why they exist at all.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com