Configuration of current kernel

h p regnans at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 10:21:16 PST 2005

> # Redirected to freebsd-questions, from freebsd-newbies.
> # Please do NOT post technical questions to the freebsd-newbies list.
Uh, OK, I don't quite get what freebsd-newbies is for then... thought
this was a newbie question.

> The GENERIC kernel is just what the name suggests: a generic kernel
> configuration.  It's also the one that is distributed with the FreeBSD
> release CD-ROMs as the default kernel.
Thanks for answering my implicit question as well :-)

> Anything that is not compiled in the kernel by the kernel config file
> is built as a module and installed as a *.ko file in /boot/kernel.

Great. Shouldn't that mean I could use gdbe right away, though? I
can't. I'm not going to go OT now, though, I'll recompile, reboot and
see what happens.

> > Also, there are some features, which don't seem to be documented...
> > at least not in the NOTES file.
>
> You're looking at the wrong NOTES file.  There are two NOTES files on
> any given architecture that FreeBSD supports:
>
>   1) The architecture-independent NOTES file, listing options common
> to all the possible architectures: /usr/src/sys/conf/NOTES.

Ah right. There we are. Interesting.

Thanks!

Helge