SAMBA newbie

David Larkin david.larkin at djl.co.uk
Thu Mar 10 09:09:58 PST 2005

I have a FreeBSD 5.3 machine and a Windoze XP box.

I am the only user of both.

I don't want to share files or act as a full time fileserver.

I simply wish to exchange files ocassionally, e.g. copy FreeBSD backup files to the XP box to burn on CD.

I used to use anon ftp for this type of thing but found the security a nightmare. I've now installed Samba on the FreeBSD box , but I'm not sure this is a good idea.

Can I set up a 'sandbox' directory on my FreeBSD machine where both machines can read and write ?

After installing samba and setting the workgroup in smb.conf, i can now see the FREEBSD box in 'view workgroup computers' but clicking on that I am asked for a username/password , which i'm reluctant to give.

Any advice ?