feedback on a good DNS server

markzero mark at darklogik.org
Thu Mar 10 08:03:09 PST 2005

> > Dan has given explicit permission to read, compile, modify and use
> > the source code of djbdns.
>
> From http://www.qmail.org/not-open-source.html:
>
>     "For a program to be "open source", you must be able to, among other
>      things, change the source and redistribute it. DJB prohibits
>      distribution of modified code and so programs which are so-licensed are
>      not open source."
>
> In other words, people who aren't the Free Software Foundation or OSI also
> agree that Dan's license isn't an Open Source license.  As I said, though,
> whether that's good, bad, or irrelevant is up to the administrator.  It's
> just something that many people aren't aware of but would be interested in.

Good point.

I suppose it's also a matter of the definition of 'Open Source'. For me,
open source equates to 'I can read the code to see if it's trustworthy
and can compile it so I know that I got what I read' but you're right,
it doesn't pass the 'official' definition.

Mark

--
PGP: http://www.darklogik.org/pub/pgp/pgp.txt
B776 43DC 8A5D EAF9 2126 9A67 A7DA 390F DEFF 9DD1