t1000e tape drive

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Thu Mar 10 02:21:09 PST 2005

HP stopped supporting this drive after Windows 98, see here:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=lp
g15246&locale=en_US

What you have is basically a floppy controller tape drive.  If you
have a parallel port one then you have a floppy controller tape
drive inside a case that has an interface card that on one side speaks
parallel port and the other side speaks floppy port.  Nothing like
this was ever supported in FreeBSD.

Years ago FreeBSD did have a floppy port tape drive driver.  I only
got it to work once on a 486/33.  (I should have kept the machine
as it was so rare to find one that worked)  If you extracted your tape
drive from it's case and plugged it into the floppy controller you
might be able to load up a really old FreeBSD version and get it
running.  But this driver was removed from FreeBSD right around the
time that HP stopped supporting your drive.

This is why these tape drives are so cheap.  If you really want to
mess with a Travan tape drive under FreeBSD then find a used SCSI
one like the following:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=39979&item=5171718
413&rd=1

But I would recommend against this for an experimenter - instead find
a DDS3 12/24GB 4mm DAT drive off Ebay that hasn't been beat up too bad.
The media is cheap and these are pretty compatible with everything.

Ted