how to deal with spam for good?

Michael W. Oliver michael at gargantuan.com
Thu Mar 10 02:18:28 PST 2005

On 2005-03-10T01:49:20-0800, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

[snip caustic commentary]
[snip real-life facts]

> The only long term solution that is going to work is modding the
> DNS records to designate an official SMTP server for each domain, such
> a plan has been in the works for a while among the standard bodies
> that know what they are doing.
>
> Ted

While not all-encompassing, I found the following site to be very
useful, not just for finding problems with my own domains, but finding
out why my draconian Postfix config would reject email from some
friends (check the NANOG archives for Verizon's retarded SMTP tactics).

http://www.dnsreport.com/

That site also turned me onto SPF[1] records in DNS, which I think is
what Ted is talking about (or something similar).  If not, I am sure
that he will correct me.

[1] http://spf.pobox.com/

--
Mike Oliver
[see complete headers for contact information]