Mounting Samba Shares

Mick Walker mwalker at codegurus.org
Wed Mar 9 12:51:50 PST 2005

Hello all,

I have run into a strange problem when mounting a samba share on my
FreeBSD 5.3 gateway. I am attempting to mount this share on my laptop,
which also runs FreeBSD 5.3.

As root I can mount the share perfectly, but if I try as a user then I
get the following error:

[mwalker at laptop]$ mount -t smbfs //server/mwalker /home/mwalker/mount
Warning: no cfg file(s) found.
smbfs: can not setup kernel iconv table (default:tolower): syserr =
Operation not permitted
[mwalker at laptop]$

I have vfs.usermount=1 set in my /etc/sysctl.conf and all usernames are
the same on both systems so it isn't a authentication issue.

Does anyone have any idea what my issue is? And are there any common
solutions/workarounds to this issue.

Thanks
Mick Walker