apache upgrade 1.3 -> 2

jdyke jeff.dyke at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 11:16:26 PST 2005

Christopher Nehren wrote:
> On 2005-03-09, Perttu Laine scribbled these
> curious markings:
>
>>Is it easy (or possible even) to upgrade apache 1.3 to 2 with ports.
>>I'm running apache-1.3.33_1 with php5 and mysql 4 on FreeBSD 5.3
>>machine and now I'd like to go to apache2.
>

> Of course it's possible. It's even easy if you read the documentation
> and understand what's changed between 1.x and 2.x. I remember reading
> something about PHP not being thread-safe, however, and since that may
> be one of the reasons for your wanting to upgrade (worker saves one of
> my machines about 25 MB of core for equivalent functionality), you may
> want to rethink it.
Your config will largely stay the same, but its not as much as an upgrade as it
is a reinstall...IMHO  even bsd has you enable different options in rc.conf to
enable apache2.

A great document to understand the differences.
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/upgrading.html

On the other point, PHP is thread safe, it is the libraries which you choose to
compile into PHP that may not be thread safe. Take a look at all the third party
libraries you'll be compiling in, look at the project sites and determine if
they are, or are not, thread safe.  If you're unsure and want to upgrade to
Apache2 anyway...then just compile using prefork MPM, this will leave much of
the internals working the same as 1.3, but still give you built in SSL and some
other Apache2 features, without the work.

PHP will also need to be recompiled using WITH_APACHE2 if you're using ports or
--with-apxs2=/path/to/apache/bin/apxs if compiling by hand.

HTH
Jeff