postfix on FreeBSD

Jim Trigg jtrigg at spamcop.net
Wed Mar 9 08:26:54 PST 2005

On Wed, March 9, 2005 10:43 am, Bart Silverstrim said:
> In the /usr/local/etc/postfix/main.cf file, I added the line:
> smtpd_recipient_restrictions = check_recipient_access
> hash:/usr/local/etc/postfix/access
>
> Then using tail -f /var/log/maillog, I got the error:
> Mar  9 10:28:48 myserver postfix/smtpd[73796]: fatal: parameter
> "smtpd_recipient_restrictions": specify at least one working instance
> of: check_relay_domains, reject_unauth_destination, reject, defer or
> defer_if_permit
>
> I put in a hash mark for the smtpd_ line in main.cf and ran another
> postfix stop and start to get mail working again, but what am I doing
> wrong with the file?

Read the error message - currently you are configured to accept *any*
message presented except those going to the specified users.  That
includes spam intended for completely unrelated domains.  I would
recommend using the following as a *bare* minimum:

reject_unauth_destination, check_recipient_access
hash:/usr/local/etc/postfix/access

I would also recommend looking at
http://www.postfix.org/SMTPD_ACCESS_README.html and
http://jimsun.linxnet.com/misc/postfix-anti-UCE.txt -- they will help you
understand what should be in your smtpd_*_restrictions.

Jim
--
Jim Trigg, Lord High Everything Else  O-   /"\
Hostmaster, Huie Kin family website        \ /  ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN