Configuring xdm

Ean Kingston ean at hedron.org
Wed Mar 9 08:21:57 PST 2005

> I have FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE with Xorg X server installed on
> my machine and I have problems with configuring xdm.
> Namely, the problem is: if I run xdm on X display :0, and
> set session program, /usr/X11R6/bin/wmaker for example, in
> ~/.xsession, when I try to login using xdm, after few seconds of
> blank screen I see again xdm login prompt, but no wmaker.
> After this, my ~/xsession-errors contain message like this:
> "Connection to display :0 refused by server". I tried following
> command in .xsession:

I'm not super familiar with wmaker but your ~/.xsession should look
something like this:

exec /usr/X11R6/bin/wmaker

> xinit /usr/X11R6/bin/wmaker -- /usr/X11R6/bin/Xorg :1

xinit is only run if you are not using xdm. As in if you log in on the
command line first and start X manually.

> This worked, but in this case after login I have two X displays
> on different terminals: one with only X server screen with cross
> cursor, and another with wmaker. Does it mean that if I run xdm
> on display :0 then I cannot run session program on the same display?

XDM should hand off control of the display to the session manager (wmaker
in your case).

After you tried my suggestion, if things still don't work post a copy of
your .xsession and .xsession-errors and I'll have a look. Also, if you
have fiddled with any of the files in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm post those a
well.

--
Ean Kingston
    E-Mail: ean_AT_hedron_DOT_org