Problems with Cron not deleting log files

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Tue Mar 8 16:55:34 PST 2005

> Jonathan Chen wrote:
>
> >On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 05:22:08PM -0500, Richard Mcintyre wrote:
> >

> >>All,
> >>
> >>I am having a problem. Back in December I installed FreeBSD5.3 onto a
> >>server and have just recently found some new time to 'play' with the
> >>settings etc.
> >>
> >>I think I know what happened but I'm not sure how to fix it.
> >>
> >>I currently have a 'large number' of auth.log.xxxxx and cron.xxxxxx
> >>files under /var/log.
> >>

> >Use newsyslog(8) and /etc/newsyslog.conf to manage your log files
> >instead of your home-grown non-working method.
> >

> Thank you very much for your sarcastic comment, however, you must have
> read that far then stopped. The problem is not with the number of extra
> log files, the problem is that I cannot delete them. AT ALL. As far as
> 'my home-grown non-working method' of managing my log files, it doesn't
> exist. In that I had not modified any of the initial settings of
> /etc/newsyslog.conf or any other conf files. the only commands I ran on
> the system were the long string of chmod commands I listed.

The point is that newsyslog will delete them for you.
Just get the configuration right.   There is no need to
use any other cron job for this and that would probably
be more difficult to get right.

If you are having trouble manually deleting the log files,
I don't have the original post info to get an idea of what
is going on.

////jerry