Help with GIANT-LOCKED in REL5.3

Kris Kennaway kris at FreeBSD.org
Tue Mar 8 08:33:55 PST 2005

On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 12:51:15AM -0500, Chiang Seng Chang wrote:
> Kris Kennaway wrote:
> >On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 08:50:06PM -0500, Chiang Seng Chang wrote:
> >
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>Anyone knows if GIANT-LOCKED is something new in 5.3 ?
> >

> >It's just a status message, under earlier versions (4.x) the ENTIRE
> >KERNEL was giant locked.
> >
> >Kris
>
> The GIANT-LOCKED status message is not displayed in 5.2 also ?

No, but most (more) of the drivers still are giant-locked.  The
message was added later in the 5.x development cycle as more drivers
started getting out from underneath Giant and so it made sense to
start pointing them out to developers as areas for future work.

Kris

    -- Charles Forsythe <forsythe at alum.mit.edu>