What's the easiest way to do a backup and verify?

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Mon Mar 7 11:37:58 PST 2005

--On Monday, March 07, 2005 06:16:04 PM +0100 Roland Smith
<rsmith at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 04:05:15PM +0100, Anthony Atkielski wrote:
>> I'm surprised there isn't just some way of reading the tape and doing a
>> few simple sanity checks on the data (without comparing it to anything).
>> A drive or tape error would likely show on such checks.
>
> What you could do is dump to a file (on a different filesystem), then
> write the dump to tape with tar or cpio, and compare.

I ran across something just last night that was pretty slick:
<http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/>

Using rsync to backup both locally and remotely.

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member