Just installed FreeBSD

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Mon Mar 7 11:33:44 PST 2005

> Do you know what command I have to type in for either kde or afterstep or
> xwwindows to start up? This is what I need to know, after putting my
> computer on and starts loading, it asks for username and password and I
> type that and hit enter. Then what do I do, how do i load kde or afterstep,
> what command do i need to type for that to come up

Normally, if you have done an install and configure the usual way, it is
put in to the startx script.   So, then, once you are logged in you
just type 'startx' on the command line and it all pops up just as
configured.    The startx script is in:   /usr/X11R6/bin/startx

There is also an xinitrc file you can modify to configure things
about the windows that come up automatically when you start it
and other things.
 The systemwide one is at: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc

////jerry