Just installed FreeBSD

Ramiro Aceves ea1abz at wanadoo.es
Mon Mar 7 08:14:26 PST 2005

>I would add the BSD-like linux gentoo to the list, perhaps before debian:
>it has a complete repository of packages and above all, what I found more
>appealing with respect to debian, a wonderful managemente of ports allowing
>you to compile your own system from scratch just like the ports of FreeBSD.

>Ciao
>Vittorio

Yes, I agree with you Vittorio, the Gentoo Linux OS is very good. I have
tested it and the portage tree  is similar to FreeBSD ports, endeed it is
inspired in the  FreeBSD ports (the FreeBSD ports collection is a marvellous
thing). But I do not want to start learning another OS  ;-). Debian works
extremely well with binary packages, and deals very well with dependencies,
but even let you compile the packages if you need it. Debian  is definitely
a *binary* distro, very good if you do not want to wait for long
compilations and your machine is not a high speed one. All of them are good
OSes and I like their phylosophy. It depends on what you want to use them
for.

Ramiro.

PS: Now I am writing this e-mail at the University in a horrible Winbugs XP
computer   ;-/