Running vsftpd standalone vs inetd

Ryan J. Cavicchioni ryan at confabulator.net
Sun Mar 6 06:04:03 PST 2005

   Hi Pat,
   I wrote this to startup vsftpd. It is not the prettiest script and I
   am sure there is a way to do it better but it will give you a start.
   Place it in your /usr/local/etc/rc.d directory and make it executable.

     #!/bin/sh
     echo -n 'vsftpd'
     case "$1" in
     start)
         echo "Starting vsftpd ..."
         /usr/local/sbin/vsftpd &
         ;;
     stop)
         echo "Stopping vsftpd ..."
         killall vsftpd
         ;;
     *)
         echo "Usage: 'basename $0' {start|stop}" >&2
         exit 64
         ;;
     esac
     exit 0

   Hope that helps.
   Lowell Gilbert wrote:

Pat Maddox [1]<pergesu at gmail.com> writes:

Is it better to run vsftpd standalone or using inetd?  A friend of
mine told me that it's more secure to do it standalone, and apparently
that's the recommended method now.

Somewhat, yes.  A lot of people don't trust inetd at all, and most of
its advantages can be overcome by just buying a little more memory.

If that's the case, how do I go about getting vsftpd to run when the
machine boots up?  It doesn't look like there's a vsftpd_enable that I
can use, like I can with other services.

No, looks like you'll have to write your own startup script.
No big deal -- just look at "man rc".