Cannot print

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Sun Mar 6 03:22:01 PST 2005

On Sat, Mar 05, 2005 at 11:56:20PM +0000, Vittorio wrote:
> I checked my "old" messages.0.bz2 at the very beginning of my trying to set
> the printing system up I found a line reading
>
>  "Interrupt storm detected on "irq7: lpt0"; throttling
> interrupt source"
>
> Which  from the following bootups  disappeared.
> I think that this is the key of the problem, My question is:
> What "triggers" that line?

From §9.3.1.3.1 of the Handbook:

     The interrupt-driven method is usually somewhat faster but uses up
     a precious IRQ line. Some newer HP printers are claimed not to work
     correctly in interrupt mode, apparently due to some (not yet exactly
     understood) timing problem. These printers need polled mode. You
     should use whichever one works. Some printers will work in both
     modes, but are painfully slow in interrupt mode.

In one of your recent messages, you showed a piece of dmesg that showed
the port being in polled mode. But that will probably have been later
than the time of the line in messages.0.bz2.

Apart from the setting in /boot/device.hints, you can also use lpcontrol
or the BIOS to set the port's mode.

Roland
--
R.F. Smith                           /"\    ASCII Ribbon Campaign
r s m i t h @ x s 4 a l l . n l      \ /    No HTML/RTF in e-mail