Please help if you can

nbco nbco at screaming.net
Sat Mar 5 07:55:10 PST 2005

On Saturday 05 March 2005 15:21, Chris wrote:
<snip>
>I am wondering if FreeBSD is compatible to all of the
> endless softwares out there that "require" you to be using a certain
> version of Microsoft Windows?
Firstly, If you wanted to say download and install Windows applications
on FreeBSD, they will not run without being wrapped or run through a
package such as WINE.  What does this mean to you? You will not be able
to install and run any Windows software without setting up such a
program first.

<snip>
> I'm finally fed up with it. But I'm afraid of one thing...
> that I won't have the capabilities with a Linux based OS that I did
> with Windows. Unfortunately, Microsoft is pretty much a monopoly, we
> all know that, and they pride themselves on forcing others out of
> business, but once again, there's the compatibility issue that I'm
> worried about.
FreeBSD is not a Linux based OS.  I use FreeBSD as a desktop in an
environment where virtually all of my colleagues and competitors use
Windows.  I do not use WINE or any Windows products as part of my
normal working life.  I use substitutes such as: OpenOffice: Word;
Konqueror: IE; Kmail: Outlook express etc etc.  I have had no issues
whatsoever with incompatibility between my software suite and that of
Windows and other users.

The real joy of open OSES is that you find substitutes that frequently
work better, faster, cleaner than Windows applications.  To learn
FreeBSD you will be starting again, in many ways, from scratch.  So I
tend to think that your approach which is to kick out the "bad" OS and
keep the "good" applications will lead you into more of a frustrating
experience.

> I read the compatibility section for hardware but really didn't see
> any of mine listed, so I'll list what I have and hopefully, if you
> have time, you can give me a yes or no. I would love you forever if
> you could do that :D.
>
> My System:
> Shuttle XPC SS56-G Barebones with Intel Socket 478
> Intel Celeron 2.4 Ghz (I know this is supported)
> 768MB PC2100 RAM
> nVidia GeForce FX 5200 128MB AGP video card
> Memorex 48-24-48 CDR/RW
> The following components are all onboard the Shuttle mainboard:
> Advance AC'97 sound card
> Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
> USB and USB 2.0
This Hardware is all pretty standard and should work.

<snip>
> I  wouldn't think of boring you with the endless amounts of software
> that I use, cause I can figure that out on my own later.
One of the huge advantages of freeBSD is the ports system which has in
excess of 12,000 "programs" which you can download and use.  The ports
will replace your Windows applications.  It is worth finding out what
people use as, say, media players.  For example, if you wanted a media
player on Windows most people will use one of the following: BSplayer;
Mplayer; Mediaplayer Classic or possibly Windows Media Player. On
freeBSD a lot of people use Mplayer or Vlc.

I hope this helps
.nbco