reload rc.conf without rebooting

Peter Schuller peter.schuller at infidyne.com
Sat Mar 5 02:58:48 PST 2005

> > How does one cause rc.conf to be reread without rebooting? Under linux
> > I would generally do "source somefile.conf". But if I do "source
> > rc.conf", I'm told that all my settings are not commands.
>
> Generally, you don't.
>
> For details, see the explanation of the FAQ:
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/admin.html#REREAD-RC

It's worth mentioning that if you're on 5.x and are looking to reload certain
specific settings (such as daemon configurations etc), you can run
/etc/rc.d/affected-script reload (or the equivalent in /usr/local/etc/rc.d).

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller at infidyne.com>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey at scode.org
E-Mail: peter.schuller at infidyne.com Web: http://www.scode.org