security logs being mailed to root

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Fri Mar 4 10:34:41 PST 2005

exp at netbox.yi.org wrote:

>On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 08:59:45AM -0500, sn1tch wrote:
>

>>When I ran FBSD 5.2.1 I used to get the daily, weekly, and monthly
>>security logs and such mailed to root...now since I did a clean
>>install with 5.3 I no longer get anything, when I log in I have no
>>mail...what gives? I enjoyed reading them .. is there a way to get
>>that functionality back?
>>

>>Thanks,
>>Joe
>>

>5.3 also does this by default.  Are you sure your computer
>is turned on at the times these mails are sent, in /etc/crontab?

And ...

If the logs and such exist, then syslogd is probably OK.  Otherwise
check syslogd first.

Next, make sure that crond is running.  Don't know why it wouldn't
be, be might as well check.

Then, check sendmail.  Depending on settings, this might be the
issue.  If syslogd is working as expected, you should find a note
in /var/mail/maillog (about 3:0x a.m. system time) that shows a mail
going to "root at somebox.tld".

Which brings us to /etc/mail/aliases.  Is the alias for "root" pointing
to your email address?

I'm sure there's stuff I may have missed as well, but here's the start
of a debug checklist.

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey