Sharing directories with jails

Anish Mistry mistry.7 at osu.edu
Fri Mar 4 07:51:46 PST 2005

On Friday 04 March 2005 10:24 am, Viren Patel wrote:

> >> wrote:
> >>
> >> [cut original question and answer]

> >> little

> >> any member

> >> are

> >> root access

> >> anything

> >> they can

> >> things.

> >> have access

> >> How current is this? The article appears to be dated
> >> 2001. Are
> >> there still buffer-overflow issues with /proc?
> >
> > 5.3 and later no longer need proc and it's not mounted by
> > default.

> >> security.
> >
> > --
> > Anish Mistry
>
> The jail manpage instructs to mount proc when starting a
> jail and the /etc/rc.d/jail scripts mounts both devfs and
> procfs. Are you saying this is not needed and if so why
> and how to disable? Thanks.

The man page is bit out of date and needs to updated.  The jail script
doesn't mount either dev or proc by default, and there should be no
reason to mount /proc under normal conditions.  For your jail named
jailname in rc.conf add the following to automatically mount devfs
with the default jail ruleset:
jail_jailname_devfs_enable="YES"
jail_jailname_devfs_ruleset="devfsrules_jail"

--
Anish Mistry