USB printing problem: /dev/ulpt0: device busy

Eugene Rogoza euro at i.com.ua
Fri Mar 4 06:09:56 PST 2005

Hello everybody,

I'm experiencing certain problems with USB printing. I have a Minolta
PagePro 1300W printer connected to USB port. FreeBSD 5.3 recognizes the
printer just fine and creates /dev/ulpt0 and /dev/unlpt0 device nodes.

But the simple test like

echo "test" > /dev/ulpt0 (or /dev/unlpt0) fails with the message
"/dev/ulpt0: device busy". And, respectively, if simple tests fail, then
the complicated printing via ghostscript -> filter -> driver also
doesn't work.

I suppose some program uses the device already, but I don't know what it
can be - I'm not running lpd (device is busy either with lpd running or
not).

There isn't really much regarding this problem on the net. Usually
people have their USB printers working.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Eugene Rogoza